The Op Shop, formerly known as Marion County Opportunity Workshop, was established in the fall of 1963 as the Marion Center Sheltered Workshop. Operation began when a donation by the Ridge Riders Motorcycle Club made it possible to purchase equipment. Until a more suitable location could be acquired, the workshop’s first location was the basement of a church.
Until a more suitable location could be acquired, the workshop’s first location was the basement of a church. In July 1970, through the efforts of the Marion County Commission, the Workshop relocated to the basement of the Marion County Public Library. The Commissioners negotiated with Human Resources Association (HRA) to have the Workshop placed under their jurisdiction.
HRA acquired a Federal Facilities Improvement Grant (FIG) for the Workshop effective February 1972. The grant provided funds for additional equipment and the hiring of staff to replace volunteers. The WV Department of Vocational Rehabilitation also cooperated with the Workshop by referring clients and loaning equipment.
In September 1977, The Op Shop moved to 1015 Gaston Avenue in Fairmont. In November 1996, The Op Shop moved to its current location, 316 Columbia Street in Fairmont.
Since its incorporation in 1972 as the Marion County Opportunity Workshop, Inc., The Op Shop has grown from a sheltered workshop to a community rehabilitation program providing both sheltered and integrated employment for persons with disabilities.